Originally published in The Fashionable Bambino
By Candi Wingate, President Care4Hire.com
Tips for Hiring a Babysitter:
- Make a list of your requirements. Before you start the interview process, itís a good idea to figure out what youíre looking for in a babysitter. Think about the hours you require, the amount of experience youíre looking for, the type of childcare philosophy, and whether any household duties will be involved.
- Ask the right questions. These could include things like the number of years she has had as a childcare provider, what type of training has she had, what ages has she dealt with, and what her ideas are on childrearing.
- Include your child. Whether your child is an infant or of school age, itís a good idea to have your child present during the interview. That way, you can get an idea of how a potential babysitter will be interacting with your child.
- The babysitter must be able to relate with your family and administer discipline to your children in a manner that is appropriate and consistent with your familyís boundaries. You and your babysitter should discuss, prior to hiring, the discipline style that your family would like the babysitter to use.
- The babysitter should be capable of handling small ďcrisesĒ on his/her own. You and your babysitter should come to an agreement about what issues may warrant a call to you and what issues the babysitter is authorized to handle on his/her own. Your babysitter should be able to act comfortably within the boundaries you have provided.
Things Your Babysitter Wishes You Knew:
- As soon as you leave, the kids will stop crying and start playing. So please, just go.
- I canít read your mind so just tell me what your expectations are of me.
- I donít mind cleaning up, but donít leave the same mess waiting for me the next morning.
- When I go above and beyond, a simple ĎThank youí note or small extra perk is appreciated more than you realize.
- You have a cell phone- If you are going to be 30 minutes late, call me.
- Pay me on time. Iím sure you donít like to ask your boss for your check either.
- Your kids will eat their fruits and veggies for you as well, if you make it fun like I do.